How to set up the app
First, get the app
You can download the BC Services Card app for free to your phone, tablet or iPad.
Then, enter your information in the app
There are 5 steps to set up the app. Once it's set up, you can just scan a QR code to set it up on additional phones, tablets or iPads.
Step 1: Choose how to secure the app
It protects your identity. For example, if you lose your phone or it's stolen.
There are 2 ways:
- Use the same security as your phone - like a passcode, fingerprint or Face ID
- Use a 6-digit PIN
Both are never shared with us and never leave your device.
If you do not secure your phone, you'll need to use a PIN.
We recommend you use a PIN if you sometimes remove the passcode from your phone.
Step 2: Scan or take photos of ID
Use a BC Services Card if you can. It'll let you:
- Skip some steps to set up faster
- Have more ways to verify your identity
- Access the most services
If you live in B.C. then you likely have a BC Services Card
It replaced the CareCard in 2013. Some people combine it with their driver's licence.
Not sure if you have one? Check if you have a BC Services Card
If your BC Services Card does not have a photo:
- You'll also need to provide photo ID
- Find out what photo ID is accepted
If you do not have a BC Services Card:
- You can provide 2 pieces of government-issued ID
- At least one of them must have a photo on it
- Find out what ID is accepted
Step 3: Add residential address
You'll skip this step if you provided a BC Services Card in step 2. Your account will automatically use the address on your card.
Otherwise, enter the address of where you live in Canada.
Step 4: Add email address
We'll only email you about your account.
You need to verify your email address to:
- Prove you have access to the email account
- Confirm you entered your email address correctly
Step 5: Verify identity
When you verify your identity, it:
- Proves you are who you say you are
- Makes sure no one else can set up the app with your ID
- Helps protect your privacy
- Makes the app more secure with enhanced levels of security
You only need to do this to set up the app. It's not needed each time you log in.
Things to check if you're having trouble
- Your computer or mobile device is connected to the internet
- The operating system (OS) on your mobile device is up to date. Only the following OS are supported:
- Android version 6.0 or later
- iOS 13/iPadOS 13 or later
- You're not using a Beta OS
- The BC Services Card app on your mobile device is up to date
- Your camera and microphone are working if you choose to verify your identity by video
- If you're still having trouble setting up the app, contact us
Need more help?
You can find more help in the user guides. If you're not able to find what you're looking for and want to talk to someone, call the BC Services Card Help Desk.
BC Services Card Help Desk
Open Monday to Friday (except statutory holidays)